Last night I spent over an hour on my etsy shop site changing information about shipping costs. For the last two weeks I had a shop announcement for potential customers to contact me about shipping costs for articles selling at $30.00 or more. This announcement was a copy of a similar one I saw. I had not established actual costs for shipping my buky but lightweight baskets.
On reading etsy material, I realised I was putting an unnecessary barrier between me and a potential customer by asking them to contact me. I then checked out a variety of sellers of wicker baskets and established a pattern of their shipping costs, with the variable being the sizes of the baskets. I then changed all my costs to reflect those of other sellers, changed my shop announcement and my shop policies to reflect this change. Time will tell if this starategy helps.