Sunday, January 3, 2010

Woodland Metis Art

We lived in Red Lake from 1972 to 2001 for the largest part of my teaching career and for the first years of my retirement. While there we were exposed to the native art scene that had its focus there. Wickepedia labells that First Nation Art movement as "Woodland Metis Art." Its leaders included Norval Morriseau, the first native artist to have an exhibition at Ottawa's National Art Gallery. While we did not have the opportunity to purchase any work by Morriseau, we did purchase these two examples of work by another artist in that school, Peter Kakegamic


I added these works to the Vintage section of my Etsy shop yesterday. We do not have enough wall space for all the art we have now so we are making some efforts to downsize the art collection. That effort is a necessary one to make since, just before Christmas, I pursuaded Anne to purchase another painting for me. This was a painting by ex-student of mine, one I taught Geography to and rugby in my early years of teaching at Rideau District High School in Elgin, Ontario!

No comments:

Post a Comment