Friday, May 14, 2010

New and old colours for my baskets

Today I used four sets of fabric dyes to enhance my colour selection for more baskets. The BBQ in the foreground was where I placed a stainless steel container filled with hot water. To that I added the dyes, and salt. I actually followed the instructions on the dye packages.

Elephant gray is one of my favourite colours. It always gives me some trepidation since when I remove the cane from the dye it looks the same colour as when it went in. But, as you can see, it dries to that beautiful grey colour.
Add Image
My across-the-road neighbour has asked for another custom made basket with green highlights. The only green dye available at the local Fabricland store was this vibrant Emerald Green. I hope it is suitable and matches her kitchen decor. She wants me to make a two loaf basket for bread storage.



Another new dye I chose was Bordeaux Red. Again it is a very striking and vibrant colour. Beneath it is an adventure in colouring. For my neighbour I experimented and added dark brown to the Emerald green to try to create a darker green. Perhaps too much dark brown was added?




One advantage of having a deck that is made out of plasticized wood is the very easy clean-up. A damp mop was all I used to clean up all the spills of red, brown, grey and green. (And I do not have to restain it every year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment