Monday, September 20, 2010

The 1953 Coronation of Elizabeth in 3D

Tonight at 7 00 pm on CBC television there is a special about Queen Elizabeth II that includes rarely seen footage in 3D of scenes from her Coronation on June 2nd, 1953. CBC, in conjunction with Canada Post, has 2000 000 sets of 3D glasses available and free so that you can view these segments properly. Anne and I picked up our glasses earlier today and are ready!

As a child, aged 9 and 3/4 in June of 1953, I remember watching the Coronation in my Aunt Rose's 9 or 12" TV along with fifty or more relatives crowded into her small living room. The grainy black and white pictures are still vivid in my mind. Tonight, I will relive those childhood memories and add to them.

For many years after the Coronation, we had a model of the golden coach with its white horses, but it is long gone. The only memento left, besides memories, is the Royal Doulton mug shown here and a small King James Bible given to all pupils at the Church of England school I attended.

No comments:

Post a Comment