Saturday, November 6, 2010

Custom made "Display Head" for hats

At last night's Ottawa Valley Spinners and Weavers Guild Exhibition and Show, I was given a challenge: "Can you and will you make a wicker display head for hats?" The person who asked this had two such display heads upon which she displayed her custom made hats. I checked them out, saw how they were made and agreed to try to make one the next day, that is today. Here I am making the display head, starting with its crown.



At this stage I have completed the head shape, and have begun to shape it to form its neck.







The finished display head sits quite nicely and is outfitted with a satisfied customer's hat.








This is the finished product, still damp and not reflecting its elephant grey colouring except for a few drier sections. I am assured if I make another one tomorrow I will have another sale and probably more orders.

1 comment: