Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Gastroscopy at the Queensway Carleton Hospital.

Anne and I had an early start to the day as we left for the Queensway Carleton Hospital for my annual Gastroscopy, or now "Esophago-Gastro-Duodenoscopy." Preparation began last night with nothing to eat or drink after supper. I was to be at the hospital by 7 15 am and ready for the procedure by 8 00am. Because of the promised freezing rain we left early. Its a twenty minute journey.

We arrived before seven as the temperature proved to be 4C with light drizzle. Check-in went smoothly and soon I was arrayed in two hospital gowns,one open at the back and one at the front. Anne came prepared this time with a novel to read.

At two minutes after 8 00 am I was wheeled into the surgical room. There I waited until 8 30 for my doctor to arrive. He had delays getting there because of traffic tie-ups. Very shortly after his arrival my throat was sprayed with an anesthetic, and then a sedative put me under,

While I was under a scope was passed down my throat, through my stomach and into the upper intestine. Biopsy samples were taken to check to see if the pre-cancerous condition had changed from benign to ominous. Several years ago, other biopsies and inspection revealed that the lower sections of my esophagus exhibited signs of dysplasia, that is changes in the nature of the lining caused by stomach acid washing that surface through acid reflux churnings. The procedure checks to see if the dysplasia sections are still benign.

I recovered slowly around 9 00 am onwards, and was discharged to Anne's care around 10 00am. Anne drove me home where I am to rest. (I am not allowed to drive for 24 hours.) It is now raining so I could not work on the garden even if I was allowed to.

1 comment:

  1. You'll be in our prayers for good test results.
    Rest up.
    Blessings,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete