Thursday, November 4, 2010

From graduation to life in the fast lane!

This morning was the last time I got up at 5 30 am to drive downtown to my Heart Institute rehabilitation clinic. After completing eight weeks of attendance at the clinic every Tuesday and Thursday, today was the last day of the program. At the clinic I followed its regular pattern. I got changed, picked up my folder and ID photo, and took my pulse rate and weight. I noted I had lost 1.5 kg since the program began.

When I checked my folder, I saw I was to warm up by walking for ten minutes, and then alternate five minute intervals of jogging and fast walking. I was also scheduled for the nurse to take my blood pressure at rest and at the peak exercise point. I followed the program and enjoyed the last few minutes of cool down exercises too. Then I became the latest GRADUATE from the program.

Next week, Anne and I will trade this early morning exercise program for another of life in the fast lane. We plan on going to the Goulbourne Recreation Centre in nearby Stittsville and joining the group there for the twice weekly "Seniors' Lengths." Every Tuesday and Thursday, from 9 00 am to 10 00 am that pool is open for the over 55 segment of the population to swim lengths. The pool is divided into three areas. The first area is for recreational swimmers. The second is for moderate paced swimmers, and the lane we will join is "The Fast Lane." Life in the fast lane will be as enjoyable as the exercise program of the last eight weeks, with the advantage of not having to get up so early!

No comments:

Post a Comment