Monday, February 18, 2013

Music on a weaving or spinning theme.

For November's Exhibition and Sale of the Ottawa Valley Weavers' and Spinners' Guild, there are plans to play music on a theme of weaving and/or spinning. Do readers of my blog have any suggestions to add to the few that I have thought of? If so, make a comment and add them.

One song that comes to mind is "Foggy Foggy Dew", recorded by many artists including Burl Ives. "Now I am a bachelor and I live with my sons and we work at the weaver's trade. And the only, only thing that I ever did wrong was to woo a fair young maid."

Another is the Irish Folk Song, called "Spinning Wheel", that tells of a young women spinning while her grandmother dozes by the fireside and her lover waits just outside the window.

Blood, Sweat and Tears recorded another "Spinning Wheel" song: "What goes up must come down", although the spinning wheel in this case is a carousel.

Buffy Ste. Marie recorded "Little wheel spin and spin", a long time favourite of mine.

And the United Church Hymn Book, "Voices United", as well as several other hymn books has the hymn, "Dear Weaver of our Lives designs" that could become the anthem of weavers and spinners throughout the world.

I look forward to your suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment